The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) is the umbrella body of all medical and dental practitioners in the nation. With over 40,000 members from 36 state branches and the branch from the federal capital territory, the NMA is the largest medical professional body in the West African region.
NMA Rivers state, one of the foremost state chapters of the NMA is the only legitimate professional association for all medical and dental practitioners in Rivers State. NMA Rivers State runs with a vision of building a formidable professional body committed to fostering effective and efficient healthcare delivery, high ethical standards and the interest of its members.
Our mission is to build a sustainable professional association of Medical and Dental practitioners in Nigeria that will advance the delivery of qualitative healthcare services to the populace. Our core values are:
- Welfare of members
- Compassionate Service
- Professionalism and Excellence
- High Ethical Standards of practice
The association operates with the following aims and objectives:
- To ensure that Medical and Dental practitioners in Rivers State uphold the
Physician’s Oath (i.e. the Declaration of Geneva which is the modern
- To promote the advancement of health and allied sciences.
- To assist the Government and people of Rivers State of Nigeria in the
provision of smooth, efficient and effective healthcare delivery system in
- To promote the welfare and interaction of all medical and dental
practitioners in the state.
- To co-operate with legitimate organizations which have similar aims and
- To consider and express views on all proposed State and Local
Government legislations and on state or communal issues especially those
affecting healthcare delivery system and medical and dental education
in the state.
Any Medical and Dental practitioner registered under the Medical and Dental practitioners Decree 23 of 1988 (Act CAP 221 Laws of the federation of Nigeria) and as subsequently amended and now referred to as Act Cap M8 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 shall have a right of membership of the Association on payment of the annual practicing fee in the said Act as may be reviewed from time to time.
NMA Rivers state has eleven 11 affiliate bodies viz:
- Association of General Private Medical Practitioners of Nigeria. (AGPMPN)
- Association of Resident Doctors, Rivers State University Teaching Hospital ( ARD RSUTH)
- Association of Resident Doctors, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (ARD UPTH)
- Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, Rivers State Government Hospitals Branch. (MDCAN RSGH)
- Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (MDCAN UPTH).
- Medical and Dental Specialist Association in Basic Medical Sciences (MeDSABAMS) Rivers State University
- Medical and Dental Specialist Association in Basic Medical Sciences (MeDSABAMS) University of Port Harcourt.
- Medical Women’s Association of Nigeria, (MWAN) Rivers State branch
- National Association of Doctors in University Health Services (NADUHS) Rivers state branch
- National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners (NAGGMDP)
- Nigerian Dental Association (NDA), Rivers State branch
The Rules and Regulations of NMA Rivers State which derives its powers from the constitution of the Nigerian Medical Association, is the supreme document binding on all members, affiliate bodies,
Constituencies, zones, and other groups within the Association.
Although the Association is involved in many of the government’s activities, it is consulted formally by the government only on an ad-hoc’ basis. It is not consulted ad ‘of right’ on health issues and has to press for its participation. The NMA is at present involved in influencing health policy formulation in an ad hoc manner, promoting health enlightenment through television and radio shows, providing free health intervention programmes through outreaches to rural communities and the physically challenged as well as championing team work and cohesion among the different stakeholders in the health sector in Rivers state.
It is the current host for the ONE PATIENT, SAME TEAM, BETTER OUTCOME Forum for leaders of all professional bodies in the state.